16 years ago, fresh out of high school, I moved from my dad's in the country to my mom's in the city. Easier to work and continue schooling that way. Growing up on a ranch you have many many animals who come and go from your lives. The emotional attachment to these animals is next to nothing. The cats in particular would come and go very quickly (coyotes, don't ya know). They bred quickly so kittens were always on hand. We were NOT allowed to have these cats come into the house.
❤
❤
Anyhoodles
❤
❤
After a few months living with my mom I decided I just HAD to have a kitty. There were plenty of kittens to choose from on the ranch. Without asking for permission, I brought home my very first ever indoor kitty. He was about 5-6 weeks old. So small. So fluffy. So playful. Shockingly, my mom let me keep him. I named him Simba(mostly because a friend told me I could not name him a main character name from a movie...so I did!) We had to neuter him and she wanted him declawed(just the fronts). *No hate mail here please. It's already done and over with now so let's not get our panties in a dither.*
❤
❤
About three years later, my mom brought home a kitty of her own(That would be Pepper). Simba adored baby Pepper. As she grew, they quickly became life mates. I always knew I would not be able to separate the kitties if I moved. As Simba had become more of a family cat and Pepper was clearly my mom's cat the choice was easy. I had to leave Simba in her care. Pepper would have hated living with me. She is a one human kitty. Simba officially became my mom's cat in 2003, when hubs and I moved away to Knoxville. We had even already added a new kitty to ease the heartbreak of leaving him. You met Aria a few weeks ago.
❤
❤
Simba has had a good, happy, long life. He developed some arthritis in his hips the last few years. The last year or so he declined quickly. We knew his time was near. Yesterday, my mom had to make the tough decision to have him put down. He had basically stopped eating. I was super glad that I had gone over with my new camera a couple weeks ago and got pictures of him. I was attempting to get Pepper for my mom but she is kinda bratty and Simba was always a ham. I took a bunch of really good pics of him. They do show his health decline though.
❤
❤
January 2010. He was a little over 5 lbs at his death.
His lifetime average weight was 13 lbs.
Jan. 2010
A few years ago.
Jan. 2010. Look at that frail body.
At full health.
Last year he was still quite playful.You loved to climb in boxes, or laundry baskets. You did not mind if we put the box over you, trapping you. One of your favorite games! You also loved plastic bags, twist ties, milk top rings, soda caps, Christmas bows and that one particular stuffed rabbit*wink, wink*! You loved kitty treats, hot dogs, tuna, evaporated milk and soft kitty food, even though those were rare treats. Except the kitty treats, you got those daily. Despite being neutered, you still had boyish tendencies (the rabbit and sometimes a kitty blankie eewww), meowing VERY loudly. You had a very delicate stomach which grandma hated cleaning up after. She threatened to throw you to the curb daily but we all know she loved you too much to do more than threaten. We love to refer to you as our Simbiotic! You will be missed, old faithful friend!
4 comments:
Awe, sorry to hear that. Pretty kitty!
aww that is soooooo sad.
Sorry to hear about Simba. He sure was beautiful. ;)
I've always wanted a cat. My mom wouldn't let us have them when we were little b/c my grandma was sort-of a 'cat lady' and my mom was always disgusted by it. At one point, I think she had 25 cats (but only a few were 'inside' cats).
When I was 9 or 10, she brought a kitten to me when she came to visit as a surprise bday present and my mom wouldn't let me keep it. I named it Teabag and she had her for 22 years. She still has one of Teabag's offspring.
I'm so sorry you lost your much loved cat. He was beautiful. I had a cat for more than 12 years when she passed away and they truly are a member of the family.
I noticed that you just started following me, thanks!
Post a Comment