March 31, 2011

5 Question Friday


1. Have you ever had surgery?

Yes! Nothing major. I had half of my thyroid removed back in 2001. I had a tumor type growth on it. Luckily, it was benign. No, I'm not on any meds for thyroid. I'm holding my own with just a half thyroid at this point.

I also had 11 teeth removed at one time when I was around 12 years old. It was a case of too many teeth for a very small jaw. I never lost teeth on my own. They always had to be pulled by the dentist. The very last time(when I was 12) they took out the remainder of my kiddie teeth as well as surgically removed my 4 fangs(canines) which were still in my gums. That's right. I don't have any fangs! 11 teeth! Yes, I was knocked out for that!

2. Ever ride in an ambulance?

Just once. My sister was driving us to the Portland, OR airport after a visit to her house in WA. A car cut us off and we had a lovely accident. My sister felt the need for medical so she was going in the ambulance. I was sitting in front with her and the airbags burned my knees and legs really bad so it was decided I would go with the ambulance. I rode in front though.

Luckily, we still made our flight. My uncle lives in Portland and we had left early to stop and visit with him. He was able to come rescue our luggage as well as my mom and my sisters baby. They did not need medical attention. Good thing as my mom admitted later SHE WAS NOT WEARING HER SEAT BELT! Shame on her!!! We talked about postponing our flight but then decided there was no need to. No one was severely hurt so we went home. I have to say, we were pretty pumped full of adrenaline on the plane. And...I had Vicodin for my burns!

3. How are you in a medical emergency? Panicked? Calm?

I think I can be pretty calm. Case in point, the above accident...my sister kept screaming my car...my car! I was holding the baby(just 4 months old) telling her to shut up she was scaring her kid.

I've also had to deal with a ton of medical issues with hubs. He's a medical mess. On our 3 month wedding anniversary he broke both feet in a climbing accident. I was at work. I met him at the hospital which was down the street from my work. I beat him there so I was standing there as they unloaded him from the ambulance. I yelled at him for not putting on any sun screen and getting the raccoon eyes. I'm still waiting for the call to come in for his kidney transplant. We'll see if I can maintain my composure. Especially as we'll have to fly to Nashville for the surgery. We've been waiting 6 years now!!!!!

4. Do you have a garden? Flowers or veggies?

We have a patio!!! I have a hanging planter. I plan to fill it with tomatoes this year. I expect great things as there are no goats to eat them. Darned goats!

5. When did you move out of your parents house?

More importantly...when did we move back in?!!! At the end of November. Grrr...we would still be happily situated at our rental house but our landlord turned into a wicked witch. California is not a cheap place to live whether you are renting or buying. We struggled to find a place we could afford that could also house the 2 huge pallets of hubs dialysis supplies. Surprisingly, not a lot of places accept 55 lb dogs either. Still crossing our fingers we can buy something late this year or early next year.
 

4 comments:

starnes family said...

Funny twist on #5. :)

Tina said...

Oh man, These five questions are always fun, and I forget about it all the time!!
Maybe I'll play along next time. . .

Rachel said...

I'm still trying to get over the 11 teeth pulled at the same time, WOW! (My dentist ACCIDENTALLY hit me in the face and knocked my two front baby teeth out, LOL!)

Hoping you get that call for the transplant (we know how it is... Itty Bit only has one kidney remaining - the disease destroyed the other one completely). Praying for it to be soon for you!

HeatherOz said...

Ouch! 11 teeth? That is just wrong!