December 16, 2009

The Cookie Monster called...

Uh oh, I'm at it again!...

Oy vey, that's a lot of butter!...

The dough is ready...here are the mix-ins. (choc. chips, walnuts & coconut)

Yummy...now we eat!...

Ha! Just kidding...I baked them first...

See???...

SEE!!!...

Come a little closer...



Here's the recipe:
Island Cookies
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
3/4 cup butter, softened
11.5 oz pkg choc. chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 2/3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 lg egg


Preheat oven to 375*. Combine flour, salt, baking powder & soda in small bowl. Beat butter, brown sugar, sugar & vanilla extract in large mixing bowl until creamy. Beat in egg. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in choc. chips, coconut & walnuts. Drop slightly rounded tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes, remove to wire racks to cool completely.


My mother-in-law does not really remember this but I got this recipe from her. It was the first time I had met her when hubs and I were just dating. She had a new recipe so she tried it on us. I loved it! Begged for it! Got it! She never baked it again and quickly forgot about it.


I use half the coconut they suggest because I prefer a hint of taste verses an outright coconut flavored cookie. Kids don't usually even know the coconut is in there. It's funny when they eat an entire plate of them then they find out about the coconut and suddenly they hate them. Lol. I also sometimes lessen the walnuts by a little. I eyeball it. Not too much not too little. This recipe is a perfect example for why cookie scooper's were invented. If you don't have one...seriously, go get one! They make cookie making super clean. You never have to touch the dough with your hands. Another thing I do is I line my baking sheets with parchment paper. The cookies don't stick to it and you can keep baking on the same paper for the entire batch of cookies. Makes cleaning the pans easy too. No baked on cookie junk to scrub off!!!


Happy baking!!!


No comments: