Holy mother of all things saintly!
✘
I have been very busy scanning in all of our family's negatives. I mean, heck, I volunteered.
✘
Who knew my mom took thousands of pictures even before it was cool to do so?
✘
The box of negatives is humongostrous!
✘
See???

Here's the thing. All the negatives from the 70's and most of the 80's are on either a 110 mm or a 26 mm film strip. My scanner did not come with a negative holder that fits those sizes. So I had to fashion my own.
✘
This is the 35 mm holder that came with the scanner.

This is another holder for something else...like slides or something...that also came with the scanner.

My homemade thingymabobbers! I traced the negatives as well as the holder size then cut out a matching piece out of card stock. Then I used a good ole fashioned Sharpie to make it black. The scanner seems to only read the negatives when they are surrounded by black.

Hey...it fits! Who knew?

These are a few of the
pains in my neck negatives
causing ALL the problems which are giving me no problems at all.

If it's been a while since you've seen a negative...(I know, we're all spoiled rotten with our digital cameras)...here is a regular 35 mm negative strip.

This is what comes up on my screen for the scanning process. I scan everything into photoshop. That way it's all there for fixing and cropping and all the lovely things I do before saving it to my computer.

After it's been scanned in it looks pretty rough. I first turn the photo so it's upright. Then I crop it back to it's normal size. I do an auto level. And lastly, I sometimes use the bandaid tool on it. Trust me! 30+ year old negatives are sometimes not lookin' so hot! Some of these need lots of work.

After I worked it up a bit...not too much, of course. Gotta leave some room for improvement.

The picture is now saved to my computer! This is Cookie by the way. Cute little Pomeranian(sp?).

Okay
✘
So, all that just to say...
✘
✘
✘
OMG...look what I found!
✘
It's just not right!
✘
My mom really had a thing for nakey pics. I mean, when we were babies...even toddlers it was kinda cute.
✘
Who in their ever loving mind stops a shower in progress to take a nakey pic of 2 not so little girls?
✘
MY MOM!!!
✘
That's who!
✘
There is a word for what we call this kinda of photography...
✘
Just sayin'!
✘
No worries...I cropped it.
✘
But, seriously, look at my face.
✘
Dude, MOM, WTH...GET OUT!
✘
My sister didn't seem to mind the photo op did she? Look at her smile! Cheese!!!
10 comments:
OMW ~ that photo of you and your sis is too funny! My mom got a pic of my brother naked on a skateboard (I think he was 5) and he never forgave her. To this day, he doesn't like to have his picture taken. LOL!
I had NO idea you could scan negatives like that! Awesome!
Holy crap!! That is one HUGE photo project. Kudos on your homemade thingy! LOL
Love the pic of you and your sis!
Are you using the machine they sell in Walmart that turns negatives into digital files, or just a regular scanner? Girl, I have the ENTIRE bottom of my bed filled with old pics my mom took...when I think back on it..she is SO the reason I am a photographer today. She always had her handy CanonSLR in her hand :)
I had NO idea you could scan negatives! Looks like a lot of work, but it also looks like it's worth it to find some valuable family pics! The tub pic is missing one thing -- the spiky point of hair at the top of your heads! :-D
Wow!! You are amazing to take on this project!!!! And I love the bathroom photo! The tile looks just like the stuff in the rental we just left! :)
I had no idea you could do that either. Very cool. Love the pic of the dog!
I smile because face it I had all the hot water, and now have a picture to prove it. HAHA!
Wholly cow...I need to do this so badly and keep putting it off.
Stopping by from Friday Follow. Happy Friday!
Holly @ 504Main.blogspot.com
Thanks for visiting and following my blog. I have to scan in negatives, I'm just wondering how long it will all take :)
I had no clue. So...you scan these in a scanner? Or did I miss something, lol. I've got a buttload of negatives!
oh yeah, lol. I'm here from ff, :)
Ma Vie Folle ..and.. My Wellness Blog
Post a Comment