We got to Idyllwild around 3:00 PM and immediately started setting up camp. We were soaked by the time our 2 tents and air mattresses were set up. We brought our chairs into my moms tent with the puppers and tried to wait it out. I was freezing. There would be no camp fire that night. After a couple of hours, we decided to get in my moms car and watch a movie on her laptop. We ran the engine intermittently for warmth. But first, when I came out of the tent I noticed my tents door unzipped. I quickly realized that the zipper broke and to add insult to injury the tent was leaking. It was an older tent!
My bedding was wet in a few spots. We had to move my bed over to my moms tent for the night and I had to try to call Chuck to bring us our other tent with him the next night(cell service was practically non-existent up there). Before bed the mutt got skerd and walked ALL over my bedding with her muddy paws. I slept horribly. I was freezing cold and slept in mud!
We really struggled to make a fire the next day as our wood was damp and the fire ring was soaked(my mom and I are both past girl scouts...it wasn't from lack of experience). But, the day itself wasn't too bad. It was Kassie's very first camping trip and she did really really well. Hubs was running late, it was getting dark and it started to drizzle again so my mom brought out her second tent(really small) and we set it up for Chuck. I decided to just stay in my moms tent. The upside, our leaky tent made a great area to keep our gear out of the rain!
Did I mention that I killed my moms battery in her car by trying to charge my cell phone? When hubs got there with our car I jumped in and warmed up with the heater blowing full blast. I slept even more cold the second night. And, when I say I slept I really mean I laid there all night long, awake and freezing!
Saturday morning hubs and I went to another campground nearby for a shower. Then we walked around the super cute town. I may or may not have spent over $50 on a blanket from a gift shop. It's a fantastic blanket though, with a double layer thickness. I also may or may not have found a camping store and bought a huge stack of hand warmers(the kind that activates with air and stays hot forever!!!). When I went to bed that night I had a hand warmer in each sock, each glove, down the front of my pants and the back of my pants, a thermacare patch on my shoulders, and one loose warmer for my pillow(I would stick it under my cheek when laying on my side). I slept a bit better but was still kinda cold.
I bet hearing all this makes you want to run out right away and go camping doesn't it? Other than sleeping cold we had a really good time.
Here is our camp site. It was quite nice.
My moms tent.
The horrible leaky tent...BOO!!!!!
Chucks tent, which I made him share with Kassie. My moms tent was really crowded with our 2 air mattresses. He had more room for her. (Yes, he got an air mattress too!)
Check out that chicken!These muffins were just put in to bake. They turned out so good.
Kassie's first camp trip.
She was cold too. Hubs stopped on the way up and bought her a mans sweatshirt. We had to cut off the arms and tie it to her. She handled it quite well.
Daddy, what have you done to me? Why didn't you get me PINK? Nobody better call me a boy!
"The things I put up with"!
Hubs manning the fire. We had a fantastic fire on the last day(not that it shows in this picture but we really did)!
The best part of camping is the camp fire. Too bad we only got to have one on the last day.
I, of course, took my camera with me. But, I never pulled it out till late afternoon on the last day. I was enjoying my time off from photographing until I remembered that I needed a picture for my scavenger hunt. It was my best shot taken on October 23rd. You will have to check out my photography blog on November 1st to see what my best shot was.
9 comments:
Um... sounds like fun. HAHA!
Ok, it really does sound fun except for the being cold part. Girl, I was cold just reading about it. *shudder* I HATE, HATE, HATE to be cold (and we have a front coming in for the weekend and temps are supposed to drop).
You had me cracking up about the hand warmers! And I was loving the fact that you warmed up the puppers! :) Glad y'all had a good time.
Yall are so much fun. I'm dying to take the kids to camp on the beach here. Have heard of some great spots. If you know of any in our area, let me know!
The pictures make it look soo fun! :) you'd ne er know you were freezing your butt off. Literally. Kassie is so gorgeous btw!
That was all the information I needed to stay AWAY from camping!! Jason wants to camp so bad and its not really my thing but being cold and wet is the worst!
aaaaaannnnddd this story is reason why I don't go camping!! haha
I KNOW this would happen to me!
I'm sure after sleeping cold all night you would have paid $150 for a blankie!!
glad the last day redeemed the trip :)
Girl, I am cold just reading about your trip! I am not a big fan of camping, unless it is in our backyard. Ha! Yeah, I am a whimp, but I do love a good campfire!
Mrs. NB
I just can't do the camping thing! I would make everyone around me miserable anyhow. Now if I could spend the day out there but then go to a hotel for nighttime, I might consider that....might.
Glad you were able to go even though there were some not so fun parts! Colorado weather is unpredictable all the time. The photos are great. So vibrant!
So fun to see your pup got a man's sweatshirt!!!! They need to stay warm too!
ps...I hate being cold. Try living in Colorado with that mindset :o)
I will be printing out this post and framing it so I will NEVER forget why I NEVER want to go camping! LOL
Glad you guys had fun even through the cold!
Post a Comment