January 24, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday-Building A Lightbox

Tutorial Tuesday

I've been wanting to build a light box so I had to jump on this band wagon. I had the box. I had the tracing paper. I did not have the poster board. I simply made a mad dash over to Michaels and bought some. (San Diego doesn't have a Hobby Lobby. I'm terribly jealous of all of you who are near one.) I think I waited until too late in the day to do this. My lighting sucked. I don't have enough artificial lights to work with. I may have cheated on this challenge. Here's what I did...I set up my light box, set up my object in the box, set up the camera on a tripod in front of the box then turned off all the lights in the room. Then I use a led flashlight turned up to the ceiling(the camera has to have some type of light to draw from), then I set my shutter to bulb and went from there. Most of the pics came out great at about the 30 second mark. I've used this technique before(without a box). It's great for having no shadows as there is no direct light on the object.

Anyhoodles...

If that's cheating the assignment then my apologies!



9 comments:

Saun said...

Oh wow I love the flower shot! I'm not sure if that was cheating but what ever you did worked.

Ashley Sisk said...

These are fantastic - I really love the first one. You rocked it out!

Unknown said...

I don't think it's cheating. ;) I love the last shot of the dolls, how they are scattered everywhere.

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

What a great idea using the bulb - I must try that. I haven't had good light for the past few shoots with my lightbox and this could be a great option for better light until I can get it sorted. Love these shots.

Rosie, leavesnbloom studio

Gina Kleinworth said...

I absolutely adore the composition on these Pam! Well done!

Kaylene said...

Clever, the shots are great.

Bek said...

Those turned out great! Love the object you used!

Casey Martinez said...

Wow! These are all absolutely fantastic!! Well done!!! I love the subject you chose and they are so crisp and colorful.

Unknown said...

These turned out wonderful!! I especially loved that first one!